Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Bel Canto Shopping

I've gone over my menu and have created my shopping list for the Bel Canto dinner next Monday night, February 4th.  The list is interesting, because this may end up being my "finest" dining and most international menu, but my least complicated shopping list.
Lemons, limes, potatoes, eggs, butter, flour and shallots are some recurring simple ingredients.  There's some nice produce that I'll have to find which may end up posing a problem this season, but I will scour my markets to make it happen.

I'm very much looking forward to paying another visit to Russ and Daughters on Saturday, and then strolling over to the Union Square farmers market.  I'll be buying some of their Gaspe Nova smoked salmon for my salmon rillettes, and I may buy some wasabi roe to top it, I just need to figure out if it's in my budget.  It would make a beautiful topping, and keep up with the international theme.

I need to get my hands on a bottle of Pisco and St. Germain (YES) and my first stop will be this really cute shop in LIC, Hunter's Point Wine and Spirits.  The shop is very homy with what seems to be a carefully selected group of wines and spirits, and although the space isn't huge, I've found everything I've ever needed in there.

Another stop I need to make is at the Italian specialty shop under the N/Q at Astoria/Ditmars, Rosario's Italian Deli, here I can pick up the prosciutto for my "Italian Sushi" and the panettone for the Panettone bread pudding.

I'll stop in to King's Fish & Seafood Market after work and before all my cooking on Monday, the day of.  Every morning as I walk to work off the E in Jamaica, I watch the guys haul seafood off the truck and into the store, so I know it's fresh.  The prices are also pretty unbeatable.  I'll be picking up all the seafood for my ceviche.

So, hopefully shopping goes smoothly, and then there's cooking all of it-yeesh! Glad Liza will be helping!

No comments:

Post a Comment