Friday, March 23, 2012

Dinner Is Coming...

So it's the day before the big feast, and I just have a couple more stops to make before the meal is ready to be cooked!  The past three days have included shopping at some really unique markets and food shops that in my opinion, make NYC the truly amazing place that it is.

My first stop on Wednesday afternoon was the Union Square farmer's market.   I wasn't really sure what I could possibly get produce wise, since hey, it hasn't felt like winter, but it technically has been winter.  I knew I should at the very least score some honey and cheese.  I ended up buying some Hawthorn Valley cheddar, and two kinds of NYC roof top honey-Andrew's and Berkshire Berries.  After Union Square I got on a Q and headed back to Astoria and over to the EuroMarket on 31st Street Between 30th & 31st Avenue.  The man at the cheese counter was extremely helpful, and let me taste test everything, until I decided on the Kefalograviera (the cheese in Saganaki) and some Manchengo (can't resist it).  They also have a great international and craft beer selection, and I totally lucked out and was able to get four beers/ales that not only will pair really well with my starters, they had catchy/dorky Game of Thrones punny names! Score!  There are plenty of other international items, all really well priced, I might add, so if you haven't, check out the Euro Market, fellow Astorians, it's worth a look!

Andrew's Honey, and Berkshire Berries "NYC Roof-top" Honey from the Union Square Farmer's Market

Manchengo and Kefalograviera from the EuroMarket in Astoria

The four Ales and Beer from the Euro Market

Yesterday, I finally got over to Muncan Food Corp on Broadway and 44th Street.  I've been wanting to go for a while, and it was exactly what I expected.  They were very helpful, and their sausages/bacon/other smoked meats were almost overwhelming-in the sense that I wanted to try everything!  I finally settled on a wheel of sausage that I plan to roast and some double smoked bacon I will serve as part of the starter.   Later on, I headed over to Berry Fresh Farms on 45th street off of 23rd ave, for the bulk of my groceries.  This is my favorite grocery store in Astoria.  The people who work there are very friendly and helpful, the prices are unbeatable, and they have a great butcher shop and fish market.  They are expanding right now, and I can't wait to see the final new store.

Some amazing smoked bacon from Muncan Food Corp. in Astoria.  Quite possibly the best bacon I've ever had

After work today, I'm off to Orwasher's bakery on E 78th Street in Manhattan, I've ordered three loaves of Russian black bread, and I cannot wait to give it a try!  I think I just need one more stop at Berry Fresh and to pop in at my local liquor store for a bottle of red wine for the boeuf bourguignon, and I'm all set!

The bread was great, the shop smelled AMAZING.  They have a peanut butter stuffed donut, I'm gonna drop some LB's and stop back in one of these days!

Shopping and preparing has been fun and educational.   It's really a great feeling to go into new and old places with a high regard for giving their customers authentic and  high quality foods.  On to cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment