Friday, March 30, 2012

The Great Gatsby coming to a Sunday Brunch near you!

I've been toying with many ideas for the second meeting of the Astoria Book and Supper Club.  Should I do Patchett's Bel Canto?  I've always liked the idea of small fusion plates, a play on the book's international spectrum of characters forced to live together in a confined area.  I will do this for a future meeting, but it just didn't feel right for right now.  There's also Steven King's latest book about going back in time to stop JFK's assassination, 11-22-63, a fun, nostalgic and suspenseful read.  There was lot's of late 50s/early 60s era food I wanted to cook while reading the book.  I decided that I should hold off until November on that.  I finally and happily settled on The Great Gatsby, which I have been wanting to reread for a long time.  I think it's the perfect book for late spring, early summer, whichever way you look at late May (which is when the meeting will be held).  I'm thinking a long, lazy Sunday brunch filled with decadent foods, jazz and cocktails.  It would be lot's of fun to capture/recreate the feeling of that era, at least for one afternoon.  So dust off your old copy, and join me!

2 comments: