Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The Year in Review

The Astoria Book and Supper Club is a year old!  To celebrate I've decided to share some of my favorite dishes that came from recipes I found on the internet, so you too can cook these dishes at home.

The first dish was one of my favorite dishes I've served, and it's from the first meeting for Game of Thrones.  It was my Boeuf Bourguignon Meat Pies.  I made my own pie crust, but to save a little time, you could use store-bought.  I have a copy of Julia Child's famous cook book, Mastering the Art of French Cooking, but here's an online copy of her recipe: http://cooking.knopfdoubleday.com/2009/07/13/julia-childs-boeuf-bourguignon-recipe/
I cooked the Boeuf the night before the dinner, and let the flavors develop overnight in the fridge.  I reheated it the next day, skimmed off some fat, and kind of shredded the beef just a little to make a better texture for the pies.
Boeuf Bourguignon Meat Pies just out of the oven
A little interior shot-yum
The next dish was from The Great Gatsby brunch.  One of my favorite dishes I've ever served was the East Egg Vs. West Egg dish, but alas, that all comes from my mind, so you can't have that recipe for now.  I was a big fan of the Pork Wellington dish, I thought it was unique and great tasting.  It comes from Alton Brown, who's just such an entertaining and knowledgable chef.  There's also a video that makes it super easy to follow.  I did make some changes to the recipe, like I used dried apricot instead of apples, but here's the recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pork-wellington-recipe/index.html

Pork Wellington with Apricot Filling
Next up is the Paella I made for The Shadow of The Wind dinner.  I did a lot of research on Paella, and I used inspiration from many recipes I read, but I followed the steps on this one pretty closely.  The author of this blog is obviously very knowledgable about Paella, and it was very helpful: http://www.paellaguy.com/paella-recipe-2/ 

My Paella
Paella is served!
Moving on to Bel Canto, this was one of my favorite dishes for sure, the Salmon Rillettes over Potato Pancakes.  I wanted to make this dish ever since I read this recipe in Bon Appetit magazine.  I love salmon, and the combination of fresh poached salmon and smoked salmon together, just sounded DIVINE.  It didn't hurt that it's Eric Ripert's recipe.  So, I made the salmon rillettes and topped a potato pancake with it and then topped that with Wasabi-infused flying fish roe from Russ and Daughters.  I loved how this looked on the plate, and I loved the way it tasted.  Here's the salmon rillettes recipe: http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2012/09/salmon-rillettes

Salmon Rillettes over Potato Pancake
If I had to choose a favorite dessert I guess I would go with the lemon tart from Game of Thrones OR the King Cake for A Confederacy of Dunces.  The lemon tart had a great balance of sweet and tart and it was very tasty, a great recipe!  The crust and the lemon filling came from this blog: http://en.christinesrecipes.com/2009/06/lemon-tart-recipe.html#.URmz-aXhBhA

My Lemon Tart
As for the King Cake, yes, it came in a box, but I don't care.  I liked it!  It's called Mam Papaul's and here's a link to buy it, but the site also has a recipe.  It comes with the little plastic baby Jesus and everything, perfect for Mardi Gras!
http://www.mardigrasoutlet.com/catalog/1881.html

Mam Papaul's King cake mix purchased in New Orleans
The result
So there you have it, some of my secrets.  Looking forward to another year of recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment