Monday, January 27, 2014

Chicago Style

Last week a few people asked me about The Astoria Book and Supper Club and when I was going to hold the next meeting.  I had a couple ideas in my head, but nothing was jumping out at me.  After some thought I came up with Devil in the White City, by Erik Larson.  This book is historical fiction at its most creepy and interesting.   It splits its chapters between the creation of the Chicago World's Fair and the serial killer that terrorized Chicago at the same time.

I decided that I would create a "Chicago Style" foods themed menu, and also try to incorporate foods that were invented for the actual World's Fare.  

Devil in the White City: The Menu

Chicago-Style Hot Dog Napoleons
Layers of CSHD ingredients: Hot Dogs From Muncan Foods, cucumber, tomato, dill pickle, relish, onion and mustard topped with poppy seeds

Chicago Style Italian Beef Sandwich
Thinly sliced Roast Beef au jus with a side of Giardiniera (pickled vegetables)

Chicago-Style Deep Dish Pizza
Personal deep dish pizzas layered with mozzarella, pepperoni, sausage, onion, peppers and sauce

Cracker Jack Ice Cream Sundae
Pretty much what it sounds like!

Dinner will be served on Sunday, March 23rd at 7:00.
Grab or dust off your copy of the book, BYOB and come dine on this Chicago-style feast for $40!
Reserve your seat now!

No comments:

Post a Comment