Monday, December 29, 2014

Happy New Year and a Few Announcements!

This next Astoria Book and Supper Club meeting will most likely be the last in Astoria folks.  I'll be moving to the East Village early spring, but part of my heart will always be in Astoria, and while the geography will change, this will always be The Astoria Book and Supper Club.  

While wrapping up our last dinner for To Kill a Mockingbird a few months ago, a few of us played with the idea of doing The Princess Bride.  We took a look at my copy that I've had since childhood, and talked about what I would cook, and I decided this would actually be a brilliant, crowd pleasing idea. Everyone loves the movie and the book is very similar: very easy and entertaining reading (which let's face it, we need once and a while) and the menu I brainstormed works!  I started the book club with Game of Thrones, and gave it a fun, medieval theme and so closing with the same kind of theme kind of makes it full circle in my mind.

Presenting: The Princess Bride: The Menu:

Chapter 1:
MLT- Mutton, Lettuce and Tomato
(Hold the Mutton) This is a perky, deconstructed lamburger slider with bacon, lettuce and tomato

Chapter 2:
Never Go In Against The Sicilian 
This is my favorite sauce recipe from one of my Sicilian cousins, we call it Sandra Sauce:
It's a light tomato based cream sauce with prosciutto, mushrooms and peas, and it's divine

Chapter 3:
Chocolate Coating Makes it Go Down Easier
Stuffed Chicken Mole Enchiladas

Chapter 4:
Anybody Got A Peanut (ButterCup)?
A peanut butter brownie sundae topped with peanut buttercups (!!!)

I hope everyone is as excited as I am about this menu, and that many of you can make it.  It will be on Sunday, February 8th and 6:00 PM.  Wear comfortable clothes, dinner is $40, BYOB and have fun storming the castle!


No comments:

Post a Comment