Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Being an Astoria Ex-Pat

So it's been a little over 3 months that I've been living in Manhattan.  Life goes on and life's been very good, and the only time I can really feel the change is when I go back to Astoria.  I notice that my body starts to relax.  It starts in my shoulders and ends in my mind.  I'm not home, but I feel at home.  I'm comfortable in my surroundings and I know what I'll find around each corner.  I'm not surrounded by millions of strangers, and I know people!  It's a nice place to visit and I'm very happy that I can come back whenever I want, like tonight when I go watch the fireworks, one of Astoria's best kept (not so much anymore) secrets.

I visited Astoria this past Friday, and got to do one of my favorite things: leave work with my partner/mom, Lenore and go grab some Mary Pickfords at The Astor Room.  We both love this place, and it's the best way to unwind after a long work week.  Sitting at that bar and listening to some live jazz transports you somewhere: a place you want to be all the time!  After our drinks and DELICIOUS bacon bar treats, we head over to Mars Oyster Bar, where we were joined by my Dad.

I've been to Mars a few times (the east village, ha), and I have always enjoyed it, but this last time, I REALLY enjoyed it.  They are definitely firing on all cylinders, and the food was just perfect.  We tried a lot: the fried spearings, the cod croquettes (these were probably the best I've ever had-great flavor and texture), the lobster roll, grilled octopus, gnocchi in a cream sauce with lobster (evil and delicious) and to finish, chocolate ganache.  We sat outside, the wine was crisp and the food was comforting and elegant at the same time.

Cocktails and bacon at the Astor room and then wine and small plates at Mars: DO THIS!

On a side note, The Astoria Book and Supper Club will be back this September, when the Manhattan Chapters will begin!  So it's time to reread or finally start reading: Gone Girl.
Another side note: the move was totally worth it ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment