Friday, July 6, 2012

Shadow of the Wind and El Xampanet

I had the fortunate experience of traveling to Barcelona for about a week a few years ago, and still haven't been able to get it out of my system.  I know everyone who goes loves it, and I feel like I have never heard a bad review of Barcelona.  The food is wonderful, the people are so warm and laid back, the climate is great, the layout is perfect, the markets are amazing, I can go on and on.  I love the lifestyle, and my friend Adrienne and I got very used to waking up, exploring and eating all on 'Barcelona' time.  I speak decent Italian and have picked up an ok Spanish vocabulary, so it was also pretty easy to to converse once I got my confidence up, IF I found a Catalonian who understood Spitalian...(speak Italian while inserting the Spanish words you've picked up over the years)...of course, when I really felt confident in using this technique, it was time to move on to France (bye-bye confidence)...
So, the last night of our stay in Barcelona, we saved the tapas bar, El Xampanet for our last meal.  I was so excited to try out this place.  It was hopping with lots of locals when we got there, and you kind of just have to fight your way to some seats, and tell the non-English, non-menu weilding waitress what you would like to eat.  So we're sitting in some seats (we got really lucky) amongst our  new-found friends, and the waitress is kind of just staring down at me with a "This place is mobbed, what the hell do you want to eat" kind of look on her face, and I spew out some Spitalian (luckily spanish food words are my specialty) and I order us a bunch of classic tapas and some cava.  She went away without really acknowledging anything, and I just hoped that we would be receiving something at some point in the near future.
We basically got everything I asked for, plus our Cava and all of it for 21 euro! Amazing!  We also got to sit with some pretty entertaining people, and the whole restaurant was there just to have some snacks, drinks and fun.  What a great place.
So, I was re-reading Shadow of the Wind the other day, and the author mentions the characters going to Xampanet.  I got really excited, because when I came up with the menu for the Shadow of the Wind dinner that's going to be held on July 16th, I really based it on my experience at Xampanet, so everything has kind of come full circle.  I just hope my tapas can hold up to theirs, can't wait to bring Barcelona to my apt!
The Interior Scene
A Birds-eye view of our tapas and cava
The Exterior Scene


No comments:

Post a Comment